Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2009

First large scale floating wind turbine


I noticed this story in the news.

http://w1.siemens.com/press/en/pressrelease/2009/renewable_energy/ere200906064.htm

Siemens and StatoilHydro install first floating wind turbine.

This is interesting because it makes deep water wind farms much easier. All the NIMBY (not in my back yard) guys can't really argue with this one. And the guys that think turbines kill birds (same guys that don't know that neighborhood and feral cats kill more birds than anything by far) can't really argue with this one either. And even though it is a cool idea, I can't help but feel "too little, too late."
When gas is $7 a gallon and energy costs are way to high and resources are limited, those NIMBY guys will be begging for a wind turbine in their neighborhood. I, personally, think that windmills are beautiful and very relaxing to watch. I don't see what the big deal is. And if you give the locals discounts on their power, most would be happy to have a windmill close (within reason).

I know what you're thinking. You think I might be offending some NIMBY folk, but I'm sure they don't read my blog....not yet. ;)

Richard

1 comment:

  1. putting wind farms out at sea is a great idea! but the big problem is all those incredibly powerful deep sea currents and tidal currents!! *hint hint*!!

    ReplyDelete